Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Diabetes...

My life changed my forever the day I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  It has been almost two years since my diagnosis.  I still don't know why my body's white blood cells mistakenly attacked the insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells causing me to depend on shots of insulin for the rest of my life. But, they did and after another year of over 2,000 shots of insulin, today my life changed again.  No more shots!  This is my new insulin pump...

Of course, I will still be pricking my finger multiple times each day to check my blood sugar, but if all goes well then no more shots! I am thankful for this, but I have to say as excited as I am about no more shots I also have mixed emotions about going to the pump.  I never wanted to get to the point where this is what I needed.  I started out with only 2 shots a day of long lasting insulin, but over time this wasn't enough to control my blood sugars.  My "honeymoon" period is long over and the real effects of this disease are a part of my life.  So am I excited to have this pump, yes!  But, I am not sure how I feel about wearing this 24/7 except for the three S's (swimming, showering, and well you know).  Thoughts ... what will people think if they see it/when they see it?  will it get in my way?  will you be able to see it in my clothes?  It is literaly attached to me!  My hope is that my pump will give me better control of my blood sugar and more freedom with diabetes, although it will probably be the biggest fashion challenge I will ever have in my life!  Lord, please keep me positive!

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry that this certainly has such an effect on you. You are certainly making the best of an unfortunate situation. And by taking care of yourself you continue to be an amazing role model for your kids. I think you'll just have to find some cute covers for your pump and if not flaunt it than at least embrace it.

    ReplyDelete