Wednesday, February 13, 2013

....To Weather the Storm....

...in more ways than one...
I don't just mean these crazy snow storms we have in northern New York.  Those are the easy ones.  You can cuddle up inside all day, stay cozy in your pajamas, and snuggle with your babies.
I am referring to this "storm" called deployment.  I am over the moon that Donnie will be home soon, but I am an emotional wreck. I am excited and happy one minute and literally sick with panic the second.  Everyone keeps asking if we are happy or excited that Donnie will be home.  And I watch people ask the kids the same question.  Are they excited their Daddy is coming home?  The answer is YES! And if you don't say it happy enough, they look at you funny. But, I think most people forget about everything else that is involved with a homecoming.  I am scared to death!!! I want Donnie to see what an amazing job I have done holding things together, I don't want him to see my short falls (and trust me there are plenty of them). I know these are fears that my fellow Army wives understand.  Thank you, Krissy and Heather for being my battle buddies and picking me up when I needed it most. 
 
I want a picture perfect homecoming.  I know this doesn't really exist, but I might just die trying to make it happen or drive myself to the loony bin in the process.  I do my very best to push the irrational thoughts that creep into my head out.  I know Donnie doesn't care about a clean house or the perfect homecoming outfit, but I do.  I worry because I know that things won't be the same.  We've both grown and changed over the last nine months.  I know that Donnie loves me and we will find our groove again once we are back together as a family.  I try to remind myself that we will fall down along the way, but that we will get back up together...
...and like a storm...I know that there will be a calm after it...
So to quote my kids, "I'm over it (deployment)!!!!" 
I will not spend my time in the storm,
because I am ready to enjoy the sunshine. 

2 comments:

  1. Another well said and beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you!! You did a phenomenal job this past year (as did Donnie and the kids). I'm so glad he's home safely and I hope you all are transitioning well to him being home again. It's definitely a roller-coaster of emotions. xo

    ReplyDelete